Itching Pet? Try Colloidal Oats

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way
its animals are treated" - Gandhi
WVP News

Itching Pet? Try Colloidal Oats

Postby WVP News » 20 Jan 2004, 13:56

The definition stated by Quaker Oats is: "Oats that are ground into a very fine powder. Colloidal oats are typically used in health and beauty aids such as oatmeal baths, moisturizers and many facial scrubs and masks."

Oatmeal is a wonderful herb for relieving itchy dryness and other skin irritations. Aveeno products really are the only commercial lotions I use as well as their packets of colloidal oatmeal. It is very finely ground and dissolves best in warm water. I like it so much I am going to be experimenting with it.

My cocker spaniel itches 24 hours a day. I have tried all types of shampoos and conditioners including the vet formula called Relief. She has not developed hot spots but I noticed the skin on her stomach and under her chin felt almost "chapped".

I do not know if she is having a reaction to her flea treatments or not, all I know is that she itches constantly. Since I work in a pet grooming shop, I have noticed that many cocker owners are experiencing the same thing.

Two baths ago in an act of desperation, I dissolved some of my Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal in some warm water and used it on her. I poured it over the top of her then sponged it on her belly and undersides. I let her sit with it on for 10 - 15 minutes and kept sponging it on during that time. I did not rinse it off and I let her air dry. It appeared to offer her quite a bit of relief. The second time I used it I did the same thing, with the same results. Her fur also looked clean and shiny.

I do not know if she is having a reaction to her flea treatments or not, all I know is that she itches constantly. Since I work in a pet grooming shop, I have noticed that many cocker owners are experiencing the same thing.

Two baths ago in an act of desperation, I dissolved some of my Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal in some warm water and used it on her. I poured it over the top of her then sponged it on her belly and undersides. I let her sit with it on for 10 - 15 minutes and kept sponging it on during that time. I did not rinse it off and I let her air dry. It appeared to offer her quite a bit of relief. The second time I used it I did the same thing, with the same results. Her fur also looked clean and shiny.

by Juli Kight
http://herbsforhealth.about.com/mbiopage.htm

Return to “Animals”